Lenono

Discuss all things related to Michael Hedges

Lenono

Postby cumulus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:08 am

Greetings,
I am starting to learn 'Lenono' and checked here for the tablature. I found a version here but after watching the 'slow' video with Mr. Hedges playing/instructing (on YouTube) I can hear/see that the tablature is quite a distance different from what Michael played. Has anyone worked on a more accurate version of Lenono and are they willing to share? I just wrote John Stropes to see if he has any plans for documenting this piece but I haven't heard back from him yet. One of the beauties of 'Lenono' is that it is very close to standard tuning (FADGBE vs. EADGBE) and having accurate tablature available may encourage more classical players to give Hedges' music a go. ..::JG
cumulus

Re: Lenono

Postby PostModernOne » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:07 am

There was a British guitar magazine (I think) that had a transcription to Lenono some time ago. It may be floating on the web somewhere or perhaps one of the very cool people on this site has it. Personally, I always thought Stropes Editions had done the song. Alas, not.
PostModernOne

Postby cumulus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:15 am

Thank you for the suggestion on the British guitar magazine. I searched a couple of acoustic British magazine sites but unfortunately didn't find any 'Lenono' treasures.
So ... I guess I'll work on the tablature/notation using the slow version on You Tube. If I come up with something reasonable and it works well on classical guitar ... I'll video a performance and post it.
However, if anyone finds accurate tablature in the next few weeks .. please let me know! Thx Much ..::JG
cumulus

Postby simon4h » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi,
I think that I have a copy of the magazine at home somewhere. I'll have a look for it over the next few days and will send you a scanned copy if you like.
simon4h

Postby cumulus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Greetings Simon4h,
Great news! I am about 1/2 completed on my notation/tablature attempt of Lenono but I would appreciate what you have because my guess is that it is more accurate. By the way, John Stropes never responded to my inquiry about whether he has plans to document Lenono. I can only assume that no response means ... 'no'.

Thank you for taking the time to dig up the article!
..::JG
cumulus

Postby simon4h » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:47 am

Hi,
Good news!! I just checked through the boxes of paperwork, stored in my garage, that I have gathered over the years and came across the only
guitar magazine that I still own from when I lived in the UK. It just so happens to be the Nov '98 edition of Guitar Techniques with the Lenono
tab. It was actually tabbbed out by Eric Roche and the magzine came with an accompanying CD, with the lessons for the tabs in the issue. I probably have that
knocking around somewhere so if you want a copy I could probably mail that to you (if I find it).. Let me know.

I will be back in work tomorrow so will have to scan and email from there...

Good luck!

Cheers,

Simon.
simon4h

Postby cumulus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 am

Outstanding News! I look forward to future communication on the buried treasure!
Feel free to 'PM' to exchange e-mails.
Many Thx! ..::JG
cumulus

Postby PostModernOne » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:31 am

Ummm. If it is not too much bother to put a second address on that e-mail, I would greatly appreciate it. A student may want to do it for their upcoming college audition.

Thank you again for finding it. I am glad to see this board alive again.
PostModernOne

Postby cumulus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:21 am

Greetings Simon4H and PostModernOne,

Simon4h gave a huge assistance when he gave the name of the magazine 'Guitar Techniques'.
With this information I did a search and found a site called 'FastStrings.com' that has many of the 'Guitar Techniques' back issues archived. Do a search there for 'Guitar Techniques Hedges' and you'll find a download link. You have to register and login at 'FastStrings' to get to the download link and then you are taken to the 'Oron' site for downloading the .rar file. You'll have to register at the 'Oron' site too (both registrations are no-cost). The .rar file contains the entire November 1998 issue as well as all the .mp3 files. Lenono is all there!

So Simon4H .. thank you for your assistance pointing in the proper direction. Everything is available online. If anyone has any challenges searching the sites mentioned above ... I can retrace my links (I didn't save them unfortunately) and post them here.

Many Thx also to Mr. Roosa for keeping this site open .. without it we would lose another communication route to studying Michael Hedges' music.
..::JG
cumulus

Postby simon4h » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:17 am

Hi guys,
Glad to hear that you managed to source the tab online - hope it helps! If anyone has any issues locating the files, please let me know as I am more than
happy to email a scanned copy. Postmodern - let me know how you go...

Yes, also huge thanks to Jim for keeping the forum up and running. I've been a visitor here for years and always enjoy visiting to read the posts - guess I just need to start posting a bit
more myself to do my bit in keeping the memory alive!!

Listened to Aerial Boundaries on the bus to work this morning. Still absolutely blown away it! I still don't think anyone has ever come close! Although I do think
that 'Anne's Song' by Will Ackerman is all time!! I see someone posted a bunch of old vids of Mr Ackerman on YouTube recently which are well worth a watch...

All the best,
Simon.
simon4h

Next

Return to Michael Hedges