Hedges Covers by Major Players

Discuss all things related to Michael Hedges

Hedges Covers by Major Players

Postby fgarden555 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:43 am

Erik Mongrain released his new album "Forward" two days ago. On it is a cover of Michael's song "The Happy Couple".

Andy McKee did a cover of "Layover" on his album Joyland.

There seems to be a devoted army of modern players attempting to foster an appreciation for Michael's music in a generation that would have otherwise never have heard it. There has been much talk of an attempt to bury his legacy by different parties. It's nice to see others still working to preserve it.

Thoughts?
fgarden555

Re: Hedges Covers by Major Players

Postby Rootwitch » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 pm

It would be nice if the estate weren't leaving his legacy up to a couple cover tunes...
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Postby PostModernOne » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:45 pm

His legacy still lives,but is is like a dying leaf on a tree. What covers are people doing? The usual suspects? Thank heavens for the great videos from the archives on Youtube. But I think those have finally run out.

It is sad. I have a new student who loves Michael Hedges and he wonders why the hell there has been nothing from the vaults, no book, and nothing new on the official website since the Paleozoic era. I got nothing.

A damn shame.
PostModernOne

Postby tagryn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm sure Hilleary and the estate have their reasons for letting things happen as they have. I've read some speculations over the years as to what those reasons might be, some more likely than others, but its really for them to say or not say.

I do think that after "Torched" there probably wasn't a whole lot of CD-quality studio recordings left to be had. I do remember that HB made an effort after Michael's death to seek out live recordings from whoever had them, so I don't think it was for lack of trying. One factor is that Michael had the misfortune of passing away prior to the advent of mass availability of digital recording, so a lot of concert performances that would be recorded today were simply lost or taped at low quality. We're lucky we have the ones that we do, really, and that we have a medium like YouTube where they can be distributed. For all our frustrations with the estate's inaction, the flipside to that is that they have left alone the stuff which has been shared on YouTube. They'd be within their rights to ask for YT to take down all the MH material that's been shared there - other artists have been extremely aggressive about that - but that hasn't happened.
tagryn

Return to Michael Hedges