Holloway Harp Guitars

Discuss all things guitar related

Holloway Harp Guitars

Postby Hedges001 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:07 am

Anyone seen or played one of these yet? Looks like they're selling for around $1500.
Hedges001

Re: Holloway Harp Guitars

Postby Rootwitch » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:28 am

Haven't seen or played one. How did you find it? Got a link?
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Postby Hedges001 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Since posting a ordered one. I got one of the prototypes, so it's not perfect but I am very happy with it. price is right. time will tell. Here is the link http://hollowayharpguitars.com/
Hedges001

Postby tinsmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Nice lookin' babies.....
tinsmith

Postby rudemechanic » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:29 am

Hedges001 wrote:Since posting a ordered one. I got one of the prototypes, so it's not perfect but I am very happy with it. price is right. time will tell. Here is the link http://hollowayharpguitars.com/

I was on the email notification list, and was all set to buy. The email announcing the first batch made me nervous- basically made me think that they were not too happy with the quality, but maybe they were just being careful. I am curious how the setup is, and how the intonation is. I imagine it still needs a bit of set up. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy one of the early ones, because it may be the only batch...
rudemechanic

Postby Rootwitch » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Hmmm.... Might be a "less-expensive" way to replace the one I had. How is the sub-bass response/volume? In the youtube videos, I'm not sure if it's micing, or playing style, but I can barely make out the sub-bass strings.
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Postby Oracle » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Got a model 5 natural prototype. The setup was done quite nicely and didn't require any tweeking. I did change both sets of tuner. The neck got Stew Mac reliced tuners, and the subs got Gotoh banjo tuners. Both are worth the upgrade. Since Stephen Bennett released two Harp Guitar instructional DVDs I. Chose to go with his sub tuning (G A B C D G ) strings are available from the harpguitar.net website.(also have a nice gig bag made byColorado Case Co. A great way to save from having to lug around the heavy case the HG comes with)
Sound wise the HG is quite good. Neck is nicely balanced and the the subs provide good bass.

I did chat with Andy McKee (who recently became a father of a baby boy recently) about the electronics in his new Greenfield. HG. Basicly copied his setup and am very pleased with how it turned out.
Jim, if you need to get hooked up with a Holloway, let me know. I'm pretty friendly with them.

Mike
The Rootwitch member formally known as "hedge-head" .
Oracle

Postby Rootwitch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Awesome bro. As far as me getting one... Man,... It's a great instrument, but honestly, after the first couple years, mine literally sat in it's case for 7 years until I sold it. It just wasn't the instrument for me. I have a hard enough time on 6 strings... :lol:
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Postby fgarden555 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 am

I also got one of the prototype models. It needed a bit of setup work but is 100% playable and I love it. I know a few other people that bought the full priced production models and are very happy with everything but the tuners. Scott Burwell (the owner of the company) told me that they're building a Model 6 now, which is an all luthier hand-built performance grade instrument for about three times the price, and will be offering a Model 8 for something ridiculous like $20K.
fgarden555

Return to Guitar Talk