dead fret :(

Discuss all things guitar related

dead fret :(

Postby Mike81 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:24 am

Ive got an old acoustic that was my first guitar. It was made in Japan by an american company named Ventura that went out of buisness in the early 80s. Its my old friend that has that nice aged tone to it that cant really be replicated by a new guitar imo. Definitely my go to guitar if trying to play a Hedges piece, or anything of that nature.

Anyways my 13th fret on my high E seems to have recently died for some reason. it just buzzes when pressed or when slid over(like if i slid from 12th to 14th it buzzes). Problem is i like the action where it is(so im hesitant to try to fix it with a truss rod adjustment) and I don't really want a new saddle or nut because as far as i know(owned this guitar for approx. 16 years) theyre bone and original. Can anyone offer any insight to likely causes or fixes?
Mike81

Re: dead fret :(

Postby fgarden555 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm assuming that you have a 14th fret neck joint, and in that case it is likely the infamous "14th fret hump". It is sometimes caused by a bad neck angle but more often than that it's caused by the top drying out. Especially during the dry winter months. Let it sit in a humid room (the basement or bathroom with a shower in it) for a few days and see if it helps. If so, make sure you get a case humidifier so it doesn't happen again. Hope that helps. :)
fgarden555

Postby Mike81 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:29 pm

thanks for the response, and advice.
Mike81

Postby Mike81 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Well, I just took the guitar up to the local guitar shop and got some better news. my saddle started to bend inwards on an angle that over time dropped the action too low and caused the buzzing... So all that really needs done is to make a new saddle and then a neck adjustment.

Mike
Mike81

Postby fgarden555 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Good news indeed! Glad it worked out!
fgarden555

Return to Guitar Talk