harp guitar plans......

Discuss all things guitar related

harp guitar plans......

Postby bhelm » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 pm

has any one checked this site out? you can buy plans to build a harp guitar! inclueding the steve klein electric that hedges used.

http://www.luth.org/plans/harp.htm
bhelm

Re: harp guitar plans......

Postby Rootwitch » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:06 am

Yeah, the guy that built my harp guitar got the plans from this site. Wish I had the guts (or the tools) to try my hand at guitar making.
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Postby bhelm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:45 pm

was it exspensive? my dad knows someone who builds guitars, but he has only completed 1 so far, but he did a really good job and it sounds amazing. i wouldn't mind getting someone to build the steve klein guitar for me someday, but i'm sure that will cost an awful lot.
bhelm

Postby Rootwitch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:29 pm

$3,500 - And $500 for the Trance Audio Amulet system, which he installed during the build. The guy was (is) a good luthier, but mine was only the second harp guitar he'd built, and I requested the addition of a 6th sub-bass string. As it turned out, there was enough tension on the top (face) of the guitar, that it began to buckle a little. Didn't affect the playability, but if you held it to the light, you could see it beginning. He replaced the top for free (with a slightly thicker one) but he had for almost 2 years before returning it (only took a few months to build the thing from scratch....). When I finally got it back, I had been out of practice for so long, that I only played it a couple times. It sat in it's case for a good 7 years, until I sold it a little over a year ago on eBay for 5K. So, at least I made a thousand bucks off it, and hopefully it's new owner is playing it more than I was.
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Return to Guitar Talk