Has anybody checked out....

Discuss all things guitar related

Has anybody checked out....

Postby PostModernOne » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:55 am

...the several new mass produced guitars that could make for interesting compositions?

Taylor is producing 6 and 8 string baritone acoustics (the 8 string has the third and fourth strings paired with an octave) and Rondo music is selling an 8 string (F# B E A D G B E) with and without a tremolo.

I can't help but wonder what Michael Hedges would have created with them. :geek:
PostModernOne

Re: Has anybody checked out....

Postby Rootwitch » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:42 pm

The Rondo guitar sounds more...inspiring than the Taylor.
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Postby LowdenF24 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 pm

I really wonder what the intonation and tone are like on the top end of the Rondo 8-string. I've decided in my mind that anything over 6 strings really needs to be a multi-scale (and even 6 strings benefit). With the scale length, the guitar might be a good candidate to be set up as an inexpensive tapping instrument though.

Jeff
LowdenF24

Postby fgarden555 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:13 am

A friend of mine has one of the Rondo 8 strings and the intonation is good, but the string tension is inconsistant. I think anything with that large of a range would benefit from multi-scale fanned frets, but that's just me. Production costs would probably be higher though. Can't win 'em all I guess... :/

Also, Alvarez is just now shipping their ABT60 baritone model. Solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides, and a price tag of only ~$320! I'll be looking to pick one of these up as soon as tax returns get here! :)
fgarden555

Return to Guitar Talk