-

Discuss all things guitar related

-

Postby SouthOzHedgesFan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:51 am

-
Last edited by SouthOzHedgesFan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SouthOzHedgesFan

Re: Building an Acoustic Guitar

Postby Rootwitch » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:22 pm

I've never built a guitar, but I had my harp guitar built. But, I basically let the lutheir call the shots, as I really have no knowledge on all that stuff. So, not sure what input I can offer on woods, etc. But, as far as installing the Trance Audio, it's easier to install it during the build, but you're likely to get better results finding the "sweet spot" installing it after it's built. Keep us updated on your progress with pictures.
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Postby LowdenF24 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Wood will sound differently with different luthiers. As Jim mentions, the best bet is to describe to a luthier what you are looking for in sound and any other parameters and let them make all the choices.

Now, building your first guitar, no matter what your skills are, it is highly unlikely that you will come out with a prize fitting your every need on the first attempt. I envy your opportunity to take guitar-building classes, but price-wise, it will be much cheaper to go to a known luthier and have him/her build for you.

Laurie Williams is a fantastic builder in your part of the world.

Maybe your teachers will have recommendations as it sounds like you will be building school-standardized instruments in the course.

Jeff
LowdenF24

Postby Davidson86 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:18 pm

SouthOzHedgesFan wrote:Have any players of Hedges music ever made a guitar? If so, have you still got it?
What timbers had the best tone, were good or bad to work with?
Which timbers would you recommend.
If I am installing trance/fraps, will it be easier done during the build? Or by someone else after? (I have the technical manuals on trance and frap install, it looks like a real pain in the ass.)
Ebony or rosewood fretboard for Hedges-like sound?

Cheers, Ben.

Hi Ben,

Yes I play Hedges' songs and I've made a few guitars, so I have those criteria covered. I still have them too! Yippee! 3 for 3!

OK, timbres to not work with for a first build:
Western Red Cedar - too soft. It dents if you look at it wrong.
Cocobolo - many people have allergies to it. This is not the time to find out if you do too.
Brazilian Rosewood - very brittle. Costly, if you make a mistake.
Ziricote - brittle as well. A pain to maintain in a completed instrument as it cracks easily if the humidity drops below 35% (even temporarily).

Recommended timbres:
Sitka Spruce - strong and loud.
Engelmann Spruce - wonderful for fingerstyle.
Indian Rosewood - easy to work with. Wonderful overtones.
Black Walnut - easy to bend and finish.
Honduran Rosewood
Cuban Mahogany

Fingerboard? Doesn't matter. I haven't found it to affect tone as much as many would lead you to believe... Go with Ebony - it's harder than the rosewoods so it doesn't wear as easily.

Installing contact pickups before closing the box is always the easiest. Just be sure to plug the soundhole so no dust gets in when you're fine sanding. I've never adjusted soundboard transducer position after the fact. You'll still have to do the endpin connection after the instrument is finished however.

I always found Hedges' sound came from how he played, not on what he played.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy the experience!
Cheers,
Warren

On the Web:
http://youtube.com/saffronboots

In the house:
'06 Gash/de Jonge Concert Classical
'06 Gash/de Jonge 00-13
'05 Gash/de Jonge SSC
'90 Larrivée D-09
'89 Martin D12-28
Davidson86

Postby SouthOzHedgesFan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:43 am

-
Last edited by SouthOzHedgesFan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthOzHedgesFan

Postby LowdenF24 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Go for it, Ben!

And keep us informed of your progress.

Jeff
LowdenF24

Postby SouthOzHedgesFan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:49 am

-
Last edited by SouthOzHedgesFan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthOzHedgesFan

Postby marcel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 am

I was thinking about building a guitar for a long time but I knew I'd never get it finished. So I went to a local luthier and had one custom build.
Mine has a spruce top and maple back and sides basically because I already had a rosewood guitar. Maple has a punchy attack but overall rosewood is better for fingerstyle.
I'm not a fan of dreadnaught or OM guitars, my favorite was my Larrivee L-19. The standard shape my luthier used was something like a grand concert. I had him increase the depth of the body by half an inch and it makes a big difference.
Probably too late now but it's a matter of taste anyway.
The chances to build a killer guitar on your first try are slim at best but I envy your dedication. Anyway it'll be a special guitar to you and it's most likely that someday you're inclined to build another one with all you've learned form this experience.
Keep us up to date with your progress.

Marcel
marcel

Postby SouthOzHedgesFan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:21 am

-
Last edited by SouthOzHedgesFan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthOzHedgesFan

Postby LowdenF24 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:19 am

For luthiery fans. there will be what promises to be a great 2 volume book on the subject released soon by Trevor Gare. I follow him on the Yahoo Groups "Left Brain Luthiers" list.

Jeff
LowdenF24

Next

Return to Guitar Talk