my cover of ragamuffin

Showcase your music and YouTube videos.

my cover of ragamuffin

Postby bhelm » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:35 am

ok, it took me months and months to play this tune on this level. That said, I hope I did it some justice. Nothing will ever top the original which is very true in most cases, but i just thought i'd let everyone see all the hard work and dedication I put into this piece. Comments and criticism are always welcome.

Hope you like my attempt at this remarkable masterpiece!!

Ben.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIa8ovKk7ZQ
bhelm

Re: my cover of ragamuffin

Postby LowdenF24 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:00 am

Nice plaid pants!

Seriously, though - awesome rendition. Ragamuffin has to be my all-time favorite Hedges composition, and one that I have never managed to learn, or even get the first few measures down. There is just such a flurry of notes that are there in the tab, and there when playing in slo-mo, but morph into comething completely different when played up to (or close to) speed.

I've even given some serious consideration to taking Skype lessons for a few months from Stropes or one of his student/teachers just to get the monkey off my back to play this beautiful piece.

Jealous as all hell of you, bud.

Jeff
LowdenF24

Postby tinsmith » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:33 am

Nice job bhelm!!
tinsmith

Postby bhelm » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:51 pm

thanks guys, i am very glad you liked it. i kinda winged the outro of the piece, as i am unsure of the order of the chord changes/exact picking pattern. other than that i think i did ok.
bhelm

Postby Rootwitch » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Nice job bro. Did you get the tabs from Stropes? Without it, I would have never been able to get as close as I did, because (for me) the right hand fingering was so important.... as I'm not a fingerstyle player.
Rootwitch
Site Admin

Postby bhelm » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:50 am

yeah, my teacher and i went over that tab, my teacher also listened to the album version of the song and watched the videos to study his movements. it was funny that it wasn't till later we saw the siminar video of him slowley playing parts of ragamuffin for some students in Pittsburg,PA. After my teacher saw him work out the start of the chorus he was like "awww shucks, i could have learned it alot easier if i knew this exsisted!"

my teacher by the way, is a very excellent guitarist and is a great teacher. without him, i don't think i would have stuck with it for so long.
bhelm

Postby rudemechanic » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:07 am

Sounds good!! I guess you used the Stropes transcription... I think it is incredibly accurate, best I have seen.

The outro is the hardest part, I think, because it is a bit vague.

I got a zoom h4n for christimas, so i will try to record my version, and use my wife's laptop webcam to make my first video...
rudemechanic

Postby Tellurian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 am

rudemechanic wrote:I guess you used the Stropes transcription... I think it is incredibly accurate, best I have seen.

The outro is the hardest part, I think, because it is a bit vague.

How accurate could it be if Hedges & Stropes got together to lift the music note-for-note off the original recording on to paper.

The outro is quite simple {childs-play}, compared to the rest of the piece.
Tellurian

Postby rudemechanic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 am

Hello; I should expand on my remarks...FWIW

Just like the Stropes book, the individual Ragamuffin transcription is very impressive. The usual run of the mill tab is inaccurate, minimal to no right hand fingering, no notation of articulation. The Ragamuffin transcription reflects the amount of effort they put in to it- absolutely perfect. The right hand string stopping notations are particularly useful.

I certainly agree with Tellurian on his comments about the coda, with my personal observations added: I approached the whole piece as a specific composition, with no intentional embellishment on my part. I had more difficulty, odd as it may sound, memorizing the specifics of the coda than the rest, and I do not know why. Easy to play, hard to remember. I also will say I have not yet seen a YouTube video where someone nails that part. It always sounds like an afterthought, and they are just running through some patterns to get through a vague approximation. I also don't like when Michael does harmonics in that part of the song- I prefer the studio version. Picky, yes maybe.

I promise to post mine, and everyone can help me know if I am on the right track with it.
rudemechanic

Postby Badger » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:35 am

Guess I'll chime in here as well. I used the Stropes Transcription which I feel is invaluable. Especially for the right hand string stopping which It seems very few people utilize. I approached the piece the same as Jim learning it as a composition without intending to embellish upon it. I wanted to learn technique that I could draw from and add to my own tool box. I also had a hard time remembering the coda and have no idea why. I suspect perhaps that it's because on most of the live recordings I have this is where Michael tends to improvise. I do however find it an odd conincidence that so many people that cover this tune approach it as an afterthought. For what it's worth...I do enjoy the harmonics at the end. I also promise to post some videos down the road as soon as I figure which kind of camera/software etc to purchase. (see my other post)
Cheers.
b.
Badger

Next

Return to Showcase