Kaki King does....

Post links and discuss web related items

Kaki King does....

Postby PostModernOne » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 am

...a version of Because It's There. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UhB6Hhtgew

I will hold myself back from saying what I want, but I am not too fond of it. Personally, I never bought a harp guitar and cannot play the piece. But it just seems she is so uncomfortable playing the song that it looses the amazing groove that Hedges put on it.
Decide for yourselves..... :ugeek:
PostModernOne

Re: Kaki King does....

Postby tinsmith » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:26 pm

The link doesn't seem to want to pop up for me.
I never really cared for her.....she seemed to be living off of forgotten Preston Reed talent & because of that I ignored her.
tinsmith

Postby rudemechanic » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:53 pm

I saw that a day or two ago. I know nothing about her except her wacky slappy version of ritual dance, which I thought missed the intent of the composer. I would think a professional would get a little better at a song before playing it in public. I have listened all the way through to bad versions of songs on youtube, but I could not get all the way through that one.
rudemechanic

Postby SouthOzHedgesFan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:37 am

Last edited by SouthOzHedgesFan on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
SouthOzHedgesFan

Postby PostModernOne » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:20 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was just me!!!!!!!!!

Look, in the intro she said she butchered "Ritual Dance" for Hollywood .(That makes no sense if you think about it. What did they say, "Hey would you mind taking this song and making it sound like ass? Yeah! That's great! GREAT!!!! HIT THE GUITAR EVEN MORE!!!!!!") and then apologizes for what she is about to do??

Just because you HAVE a harp guitar does NOT give you the right to play Michael Hedges! Damn, I near puked when I saw the video....

Look, I did a gig with Kaki King in NYC. She was paid ten times what my ensemble (or any other performer on the bill) and I were, worshiped like a rock star by the management, phoned in the damn performance and left with her girlfriend minutes after she left the stage. From that moment on, I had no respect for her. She got to where she was via a gimmick and she knows it.

Sorry for the vent. I apologize. I just really miss Michael Hedges sometimes, 'ya know?
PostModernOne

Postby SouthOzHedgesFan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:25 am

Hi guys,
Go grab your copy of "Live on the Double Planet" and crank it up so loud the police come to your house. Preferably on vinyl through and old-school industrial sized amplifier and large speakers. It will do wonders for your head.

Or alternatively, check this clip out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpbbZe1dfoI
(Right click on the link and select "open link in new tab")
Vinyl sounds better even through youtube!

Just listened to this link. Remember how damn good Michael was?

Ben.
Last edited by SouthOzHedgesFan on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthOzHedgesFan

Postby PostModernOne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 am

Here is one of my main complaints: Kaki King has been called BY THE NEW YORK TIMES, and I quote, "the female Jimi Hendrix of the Acoustic Guitar".

Okay, I find the fact that a person deemed a PROFESSIONAL guitarist would do such a lame job IN PUBLIC. Hey, somebody buys a harp guitar and wants to give the songs a spin, fine. Whatever. Wanna play a coffeehouse and see how ya' do? Great. But her version is so painful, COMPOUNDED by the fact that Michael Hedges' legacy is turning more and more into dust while others of far less talent ride forward like a truck driver on eight Red Bulls.

Yes, I do have a life, to which I must attend to now.

And Ben, good luck with the guitar and the tune.
PostModernOne

Postby tinsmith » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm

I'd like to know how you made out with the guitar SouthOz.....& no need to apologize for political whatever....at least to me.....
I have a habit of using a poor choice in word selection.....
tinsmith

Postby zta » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:29 am

First off, Thanks for this website. It is, as others have noticed, an invaluable resource for the Hedges fan. Its nice to see others involved in preserving his legacy when those in charge seem content to let him slip into obscurity.

Musicians talking smack about other musicians is common and petty. If you don't like something don't listen to it. Yes, the music industry is unfair, get over it, that's life. Yeah, you could rant about how other people have had more advantages (family money or connections or whatever) over others that have worked harder and studied more, but that's the way it is and has always been. I don't like certain other contemporary guitar players, but I ain't going to waste my time flaming message boards about how terrible they are and blah blah blah. I might not agree or understand how they have achieved the success that they have apparently achieved but so be it, good for them.

For the record, I am not a Kaki King fan. I didn't think her cover was that horrible and I appreciate her for trying to expose people to Hedge's music. Enough said.

I ain't trying to rip on anyone, it just seemed that there was another side to things here. I love this website and hate to see it become just another forum of people spewing piss and vinegar. I only met Michael once and don't claim to know him or speak for him, but I doubt he would approve of this kind of behavior.

Peace
zta

Postby tinsmith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Pal.....I'm not listening to her & your opinion I don't care about....friggin' pompous jackahss.
Take your fairy opinion & just fly away.........fluttterrr
tinsmith

Next

Return to On The Net