Is the canon closed?

Discuss miscellaneous items

Is the canon closed?

Postby PostModernOne » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:29 pm

I had a student ask me last week about any more Michael hedges recording. I told him that there are a ton of things on Youtube but that there will most likely be no albums of new or unreleased material due to:
A) total drop of the ball after Michael Hedges died by everyone involved
B) a razor wire style fight between the manager, the family and the record company about any and all tapes ever recorded by Michael Hedges during his lifetime
C) the lack of interest in Michael Hedges due to the above reasons as well as no published and promoted biography and/or documentary of him, his work, and his technique.
D) the ability for all of the above to have mediocre talents build upon his legacy because of all of the above as well as the fact that the guitar is not as much a part of the culture as it was from 1950 to 1994 as techno has moved into popular culture (and please do not give me Guitar Hero as a sign of the guitar being popular if that were the case space technology would be 1000000 times better today due Space Invaders being so popular in the 80's)

Any thoughts on this?

Anyone....
PostModernOne

Re: Is the canon closed?

Postby Hedges001 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:26 pm

I think points (A) & (B) are a bit harsh. Unless you personally know any or all 3 entities you refer to, I feel a statement like that is a bit out of line. Estates can be quite complicated & you never know what the wishes of the deceased were unless you have a copy of their will. As for (C), I guess it is our responsibility to keep his music in front of the prople we come in contact with. The Stropes book Rhythm, Sonority, Silence & the Artists Profile video, I think are the closest we'll come to his biography, technique etc... as it was in Michaels own words & he approved of those songs technical interpretations by John Stropes. As for (D), there's only one Michael Hedges. We can learn to perform his songs, but no one has a stage presence like Michael did, & no one has his compositional flavour. I just want to publicly thank Jim for keeping this site going which helps with (C). All those who have taken the time to transcribe what is impossible music & post it on this site, some without the visual acrobatics that Michael energetically performed show after show. Randy Lutge for all the amazing youtube videos, John Stropes for getting his book done while Michael was alive. But most of all Michael Hedges for the music that he shared with all of us.
Hedges001

Re: Is the canon closed?

Postby PostModernOne » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 pm

I respect your comment but I made my statements after having talked to a number of people close to the inner circle. AND I am in no way taking away from the pain and confusion and mourning that happens after the death of a loved one. I've been there many times and it sucks. I do not shoot off my mouth or make comments without having done a decent amount of research.

If we were to compare the Hendrix Estate to what has happened to the Hedges Estate we can see the differences. At the end of the game, the family has the right to do as it wishes. They want to close the vaults and move on and not look back, they have the right to do that. After losing your father and your husband, such a position is very very understandable. Since I view Michael Hedges on the level of Bela Bartok, John Cage, Eric Satie, and Arvo Part, the desire to have more music as well as a complete biography (as well as the disappointment for a lack thereof) is, to me, understandable.

And yes, we all owe John Stropes a great deal of thanks for keeping his legacy alive. I have absolutely no quarrel with him and his transcriptions have been so important to both myself and my students. Also, Randy Lutge has truly given a new vision into the arc of Michael Hedge's career. I sent him an e-mail and thanked him quite some time ago. This website is also amazing and I continually thank and praise Mr. Roosa for his Herculean efforts.

I approach this as an educator and a composer. I see a deep hunger by many of my students to know more about Michael Hedges and I have to tell them there is nothing left. Yes, one will always want more. Such is human nature. It is just that there IS music and knowledge out there that is simply going to waste. The legacy of Michael Hedges will go where it may, but it is the anger I feel when I see such genius is dissolving in the sea of time (and general apathy) that truly drives me bonkers.
PostModernOne

Return to Misc.